It’s National Preparedness Month. And insurance, as you probably know, is all about being prepared for the unexpected.
But let’s be honest. Being prepared for a natural disaster — from having the right car and home insurance to having a solid plan in place and an emergency kit in hand — can all feel a little overwhelming. So at Esurance, we’re making it surprisingly painless.
We want to help make sure you’re ready for whatever comes your way. Because NOT being prepared is the biggest pain of all.
With that in mind, check out our simple guide to getting an emergency kit in order.
What to include in an emergency kit
Weather expert, Bonnie Schneider, put together a list of the most important things you should have in your emergency kit.
Here’s what you need:
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit and manual (make sure nothing is expired)
- Sanitation and hygiene items (moist towelettes and toilet paper)
- A battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio, which will allow you to get weather alerts even without power or cell phone service
- A manually operated can opener
- Cash and coins (if power is out, you may not be able to get cash out of the ATM)
- Special items, like prescription medications, eye glasses, or hearing-aid batteries
- Items for infants, such as formula, diapers, etc.
- Copies of personal documents stored in waterproof containers (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, and insurance policies)
Make sure your insurance is prepared too
Just as important as having an emergency kit AND an emergency plan is making sure you have the protection you need. Esurance makes this painless too by explaining coverages in simple terms that are easy to understand. Without all the jargon and mumbo jumbo.
We have Coverage Counselor®, which helps you figure out which car insurance coverages are right for you. And we also have a home insurance calculator that helps you decide how much homeowners insurance you need to protect your assets. Whether you buy from Esurance or not, use these tools to make sure you have the protection you need BEFORE you need it. Our goal is to help you be prepared —and to make that prep painless — whether you’re an Esurance customer or not.
Check out our disaster prep guide for tips on preparing for (and recovering from) Mother Nature’s fury. And stay safe out there!