Nothing’s quite as exciting as getting the keys to the car and heading out on your own for the very first time. But if you’re a parent with an excited teen driver in the house, you probably know how nerve-wracking this can be as well. Amidst the driver tests and practice runs, it can be easy to forget about car insurance. That’s to be expected — the thought of coverages, limits, and deductibles is likely the last thing on your mind as you watch your child get behind the wheel and drive off to … wherever it is teens drive to these days.
But before you hand over the keys to the station wagon, you need to talk car insurance. And car insurance for teens is not exactly the same as car insurance for grown ups. You might think you know everything you need to know, but do you really? Take our short quiz to find out.
1. A 17-year-old pizza delivery driver comes to a stop … halfway through his customer’s garage door. Will his personal car insurance policy cover the damages?
b) No, he needs a commercial policy to cover incidents that happen while delivering.
c) No, the employer’s insurance will cover the damages.
2. How much more likely are 16-year-old drivers to be involved in a fatal accident than 20- to 24-year-olds?
a) 2.5 times more likely.
b) 50 times more likely.
c) No more likely.
3. You live in Nevada, and your scholarly daughter is off to the Ivy League. She’s taking her car to college and is currently covered on your car insurance policy. Will she:
a) Still be covered by your policy?
b) Need to get a new policy all her own?
c) Stop driving altogether after joining a radical movement?
If you answered these correctly, then bravo. You’re probably in good shape to make sure your young driver has the coverage he or she needs. If not, then you may want to check out our Young driver FAQs.
In addition to the above, you’ll also find info on:
- Why young drivers pay more on average
- How to save on young driver car insurance
- Graduated licensing laws, parent-driver contracts, and cutting-edge technology to keep young drivers safer on the road
Check out our Young driver FAQs for everything you need to know about car insurance for your teen. And good luck!