What Is an SR-22? Top 6 Things You Should Know

SR-22 image

The SR-22. Most people probably have a hazy idea of what it is. Maybe you’ve had a friend who needed one or you understand vaguely that it has to do with car insurance. But really, what is an SR-22? Is it something you get from the DMV or your car insurance company? Does everyone have to have one? Is it bigger than a breadbox?

It seems that, aside from a general sense of foreboding, most people don’t know much about SR-22s. And that’s fine. As long as you practice safe driving and don’t let your insurance lapse, you’ll never need one. But just in case, here are a few SR-22 insurance basics to help keep you in the know.

What’s an SR-22?

An SR-22 — also known as SR-22 insurance or Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR) — isn’t a type of car insurance, but verification that you’re maintaining car insurance liability coverage. An SR-22 form is a state-mandated certificate filed by your car insurance carrier with your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Who needs an SR-22?

An SR-22 is required when someone who was in an accident or convicted of a traffic offense couldn’t show financial responsibility. For example, you’d need an SR-22 if you were caught driving without car insurance.

You might also need an SR-22 if you had any of the following:

  • A DUI or DWI or any serious moving violation
  • An at-fault accident while driving without insurance
  • Repeat traffic offenses or too many tickets in a short time period
  • A revoked or suspended license

What does an SR-22 cost?

Though it varies by state, car insurance companies will typically charge a nominal fee of $15 to $25 for filing an SR-22 form.

If you need an SR-22, however, you’ll first need to purchase a car insurance policy. Your car insurance rate will be determined based on all the factors that normally go into rating a policy. However, keep in mind that car insurance companies generally consider drivers who need an SR-22 riskier to insure, so your car insurance rates will likely reflect the risk.

We recommend shopping around, but remember, the cheapest SR-22 insurance quotes may not be the best. You should always consider the company’s service, financial responsibility, and reliability when making an insurance purchase of any kind.

How do I get an SR-22?

To obtain an SR-22, you’ll need to go through your car insurance provider. Only an insurance company that is filed with the state can issue SR-22s.

Additionally, if you have an SR-22 in one state but move to another, you’ll need to fulfill the SR-22 requirements for your former state, and your new liability limits will need to meet the minimums required by law in your former state.

Learn more about filing an SR-22 here.

How long does an SR-22 have to be maintained?

Most states require drivers to carry SR-22 insurance for 3 years. In that time, continuous coverage must be maintained. If there is an insurance lapse or cancellation, your car insurance company is legally obligated to notify the DMV and your license will be suspended.

How can I avoid an SR-22 requirement?

You can avoid the complication and expense involved with an SR-22 filing by simply maintaining your car insurance and practicing safe driving.

Here are a few useful reminders:

  • Don’t drink and drive. DUIs and DWIs are the most common reasons for needing to file an SR-22 certificate.
  • Drive safe. Not only can too many moving violations result in an SR-22, they can significantly increase your car insurance premiums.
  • Don’t drive without insurance. If you don’t have car insurance and you’re pulled over, you’ll be required to prove financial responsibility by way of an SR-22.

Bottom line: Drive carefully and stay insured and you’ll never need to know any more than this about the SR-22 (which, by the way, is smaller than a breadbox).

And if 6 facts about SR-22s just aren’t enough, find out what SR-22 actually stands for.

Related post

You have questions about SR-22s. We have answers.

140 Responses to “What Is an SR-22? Top 6 Things You Should Know”

  1. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    Mike Hughes
    February 8, 2013 #

    I was wondering if i could get an sr-22 form without a vehicle?? I need a driver lisence to help a legal situation im having but i don't need car insurence. I'm so sickk of dealing with the system i about ta completely give up. Have any good advice?? Thanks. ~Mike Hughes

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Jessica Guerin
      February 11, 2013 #

      Hi Mike. Thanks for your comment. If you have questions about SR-22 forms or any other insurance documents, please feel free to contact our customer service center at 1-800-ESURANCE (1-800-378-7262). Our experts are here to help 24/7.

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      January 3, 2014 #

      I want to know this too. Please help! I got a non owners quote form 4autoinsurancequote for just $59/month, but they didnt ask for my driving history or SSN, so I dont know if this is a legit quote. if so, that would be great! but, i doubt it's legitimacy because they didnt ask if I needed a SR22. please help!! so confused :(

      • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
        Ellen Hall
        January 6, 2014 #

        Hi Sarah,
        An insurance quote is just an estimate, and does not typically factor in driving history. The insurer would need to collect more information from you in order to give you a final price (which may differ from your quote).

        Hope this helps!

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      July 20, 2014 #

      Just prove to your state you don't own a vehicle and you should be able to get your license

  2. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    December 26, 2013 #

    If someone does not own a car but drives others cars once in a while do they need insurance

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      December 31, 2013 #

      Hi Corina,
      You would probably be covered by what's known as “permissive use.” Many insurance policies automatically provide coverage for not only the insured driver but also anyone they give permission to drive the insured vehicle. Both physical coverage (e.g. comprehensive and collision) and liability coverages like bodily injury and property damage would apply.

      The extent of coverage will be outlined in the policy contract, which can vary by state and by insurance company. In some cases, permissive use coverage doesn't apply to household members or anyone who regularly drives the vehicle; those drivers would be expected to have their own coverage or to be added to the policy as a listed driver. In other cases, coverage limitations may apply. So the vehicle's owner should check their contract before lending out their car.

      Hope this helps!

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      July 20, 2014 #

      You shouldn't drive any car if you are not listed as a driver on the policy

  3. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    January 15, 2014 #

    I just found out I have a judgement on my driver license for an accident that I was not involved in November of 1993. I've had my license renewed several times with no problem and I find this out and I now have to get SR-22 and pay the state $70. Is there a solution to this?

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Rachael Heller
      September 24, 2014 #

      Hi Brenda,
      Because regulations differ based on state and situation, we recommending contacting your insurer directly. Thank you for reading!

  4. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    January 27, 2014 #

    I already have insurance..do I still need an sr22?

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      January 28, 2014 #

      Hi Jerome,
      Basically, SR-22s are required to show financial responsibility if you’ve had a major driving incident or DUI. In most cases, the court or licensing agent will inform you if one is required. If you’ve been notified that you need one, contact your insurance company so they can file it with your state.

      This page has more detailed information: http://www.esurance.com/violations/sr-22-and-fr-44-forms

  5. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    January 29, 2014 #

    dont forget that this is also remedy for non commercial entities that do not want to involve themselves in commerce, this SR 22 is for anyone whom wishes to file a 50,000.00 bond in lieu
    of insurance, to avoid being charged with not having public liability insurance

  6. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    February 3, 2014 #

    Can i just not get the sr22 insurance and not drive for a while? Or is there anyway to not deal with this expensive headache for 3 years ?

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      February 17, 2014 #

      Hi Jason,
      Carrying an SR-22 isn’t always costly. Some insurance companies won’t insure drivers who need an SR-22, or may add surcharges to the policy because of the SR-22 requirement, but that’s not always the case. Esurance doesn’t restrict against SR-22 drivers as long as they meet our other eligibility requirements, and we don’t add any surcharge to the policy (there may be a 1-time processing fee, typically $25, in some states). Drivers who carry an SR-22 may sometimes have to pay a higher premium because a moving violation or accident has been added to their record. In that case, it could theoretically be worthwhile for the driver to hang up their keys until the incident ages off their driving record. However, that’s not usually the most practical solution.

      In states that require SR-22s the policyholder usually has to maintain continuous insurance coverage with an SR-22 for a set period of time (like 3 or 5 years). If the driver chooses not to drive for 3 years, that won’t necessarily waive the requirement. When they go back to the DMV after that 3-year hiatus, they may find that they’re still expected to obtain a policy with an SR-22 for another three years in order to reinstate their license. The requirements can vary by state depending on the incident that triggered the SR-22 requirement, so for specific questions your best bet is to check with the DMV to confirm exactly what you need.

      I hope this helps answer your question.

  7. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    February 5, 2014 #

    I have a question I got stopped in my bf car and it didn't have insurance at the time and now my license is suspended and required to carry a SR-22 with me but none of the cars are in my name neither is the insurance policy so I don't know what I can do next? Help pls.

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      February 18, 2014 #

      Hi Jennifer,
      Are you listed as a driver on your boyfriend’s policy? If you are, his insurance company may be able to file an SR-22 with the state to confirm that. (And if you live together, your state may require you to be listed on his policy.) But even if you don’t live together, if you regularly drive his car(s), he should look into adding you to his policy. He should be able to check with his insurance agency to find out their requirements for adding a driver and whether they can provide an SR-22.

      If he’s unable to add you to his policy, or if his insurance company doesn’t provide SR-22 insurance, you’ll need to look into getting your own insurance. If you don’t have a car, you may still be able to get coverage in the form of a “non-owners” policy. This would provide liability insurance for you but would not have any specific vehicle associated with it. Esurance doesn’t offer this type of policy, so in that case we recommend contacting a local insurance agent who can help you find the type of coverage you need.

      I hope this was helpful!

      • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
        abel romero
        July 25, 2014 #

        Hi Ellen! I was involved in an accident I got ran off the road. My father's insurance is recently expired. We were unaware of that. I drive with an sr22. I hit a median and the car is pretty much totaled. What can I do and how does the sr22 benefit me?

  8. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    February 15, 2014 #

    After getting a dui if you wait three years to file for insurance do you still have to carry a sr-22???

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      February 18, 2014 #

      Hi Brittney,
      Most likely, if someone gets a DUI they will need to carry an SR-22 at some point no matter how long they wait to start driving again after the incident. Since this can vary by state, the driver would need to check with their DMV to confirm the exact requirements of their situation.

      Thanks for your question!

      • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
        May 7, 2014 #

        what if you get it in a different state that you went to go school in and wanted to move back to my state if you have a permit do i stay i this state reapply for everything and then apply for sr22 before moving back to delaware which doesnt require sr 22

      • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
        Ellen Hall
        May 7, 2014 #

        Hi Sasha,
        If someone needs an SR-22 in their current state of residence, they will need to continue to carry that SR-22 for the required timeframe even if they plan to move to a new state. If they don’t, they may find that they have trouble transferring their license and registration to the new state.

        Since Delaware doesn’t require SR-22s, you may not be able to add one to a Delaware insurance policy. You’ll need check with your insurer to see if they can issue you an SR-22 on a Delaware policy, or if you’ll need to carry a policy for the original state plus one for the state where you actually reside with your vehicle.

        We suggest you let the DMV in your current state know your specific circumstances as soon as possible. They may have an exception on the books for people moving to a non-SR-22 state. They can also confirm how long you still need to carry an SR-22. If they say it’s ok to have the SR-22 for only a short period, you should be fine. If not, you may need to have two policies active at the same time (one for each state). You could look at getting a separate non-owners policy for the SR-22; that type of policy is designed for people who don’t own a car at all but may work for your situation. You’d still need to have a regular policy for your vehicle in Delaware.

        I hope this helps!

  9. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    February 18, 2014 #

    I have a suspended license and have no idea why. It might be because of an accident that occurred two years ago, but, I am unsure. I need this sr22 to get my license back? Is there a way to find out why my license has been suspended?

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      February 18, 2014 #

      Hi Zac,
      Good question, and yes. To find out why your license is suspended, you'll need to check with the state that issued the license. In some states (like Florida) there’s a link right on the state website where drivers can enter their drivers license info to find out basic information about the license status. Otherwise, your local DMV office should be able to review your license history to confirm the reason for the suspension. Hope this helps you clear things up.

  10. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    February 21, 2014 #

    if i get my license suspended for exceeding 8 points in 18 months and get an sr22 and pay the fee, will my insurance go up?

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      February 25, 2014 #

      Hi Jenna,
      Depending on the violation, you might see an increase, but it would likely be due to the violation rather than the SR-22 itself. If your insurance company is already including the violation in your rate, you may see little or no additional increase. Since SR-22 availability and fees can vary by company, this might be a good time to shop around and get some comparison quotes.

      Thanks for your question!

  11. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    February 26, 2014 #

    i have had my sr22 insurance now for 9yrs which I have come to find out is way too long and have basically paid the state over that span an extra $4500. How do I get it taken off b/c I don't need it anymore my last offense was in 2004. also is there anyway to possibly get my money back

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      February 27, 2014 #

      Hi Ryan,
      There’s a difference between paying for insurance and paying for an SR-22. The SR-22 is basically just a document that the insurance company provides to the state to confirm that the insured driver is carrying the insurance required by the state. (In some states, such as Florida, a driver with an SR-22 may be required to carry higher insurance limits than the state minimum.)The insurance company may sometimes (but not always) charge a fee or surcharge for a driver who needs an SR-22.

      Removing the SR-22 can be as simple as contacting your insurance company and asking them. They may ask you to provide a letter from the state confirming that the SR-22 is no longer needed. You should be able to get that letter from your local DMV office.

      Unless you have insurance directly through a state program, it’s likely you’ve been paying money to your insurance company rather than the state. If you feel that you were carrying too much coverage or paying additional unneeded surcharges or fees due to the SR-22, you should contact your insurance company to find out how the SR-22 affected your insurance rate (if at all). The insurance company would also be the best ones to address whether removing the SR-22 could be backdated to provide you with any additional credit or refund. Because the SR-22 is a guarantee that you were carrying certain coverages during the time the document was on file with the state, it may not be possible to backdate the removal or coverage changes.

      Hope this was helpful!

      • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
        Wes Matheny
        October 13, 2014 #

        I'm currently dealing with the same situation Ryan is. My DUI was back in 2003, my requirements were met in 2004 and I eve waited until 2006 to have it removed! (Louisiana DMV requires an SR.-22 to be on file for 3 years.) The courthouse will provide any "satisfied" documentation to the insurance agency showing the state no longer requires it to be filed no problem. Just ask. CALL for your customer! Right!!??
        The clerk of courts office won't call my agency. Not their job! Why didn't my agency actively seek out the answer back in 2006 like I asked?… It is not my responsibility (directly). They are the ones who "say" they need an approval.
        I was able to call my underwriter and ask to remove it. She said "okay"! DONE!! "You will now save $98.00/month effective on your next bill. October 31, 2014.
        It took 15 minutes to accomplish something I have been led to believe my agency could only do.

        There are steps to take Ryan if your situation is similar. I'm giving "pro#^*+~_@" a chance to address the unneeded fees and premium hikes for the last 8 years. The backdated issue is why we have the option to file a complaint if they don't attempt to satisfy a customer of 10 years.

  12. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    February 27, 2014 #

    if license is suppose to be reinstated April 20, when should I contact the insurance to get the SR22 going? I need to get my license back as soon as the state allows. I want to make sure the DAY I am allowed I can go get it. Is there proof of this that I also take into the DMV with me to get my license back?

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      February 28, 2014 #

      Hi Mickey,
      The answer depends on how your insurance company files SR-22s with the state. If they’re set up for electronic filing, the SR-22 can potentially be sent to the state the same day that you make the request. If the SR-22s are filed manually as a paper document mailed to the state, it will take longer. We typically advise allowing 10 to 14 days for a mailed SR-22 to be delivered to the state and processed by the appropriate department. If the SR-22 is processed manually, the customer will get a copy that they can take in to the DMV. However, many states will still require you to wait until you receive the original document from the insurance company.

      If you want to go in to the DMV on the appointed date and walk out with a reinstated license, you should get the SR-22 request started ASAP to make sure the DMV has plenty of time to receive and confirm the documentation.

      Thanks for your question!

  13. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    daniel winters
    March 5, 2014 #

    hi, i just received an HTO revoke in florida and i looked up my record and it also says i have a Fr HTO First Notice? im doing research and it seems basiclly im going to need an sr-22 but i literally just got a 5 year revoke so how can they also revoke my license for that too? plus all of this is from paying outstanding tickets ive had for 6-7 years old that i coudnt pay until recent because i was incarcerated? i just got my license back and they took it away again. its ridiculous, how do they expect someone to change their life?

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      March 7, 2014 #

      Hi Daniel,
      It sounds like you might need to talk to someone at the DMV to clarify the status of your license. There are several things in Florida that can cause a license to be revoked, and you might have more than one going on at once. It’s possible you may have just cleared up one issue only to find another one now being applied that requires a new SR-22.

      Depending on the reason for your incarceration, you may also need an additional document that’s essentially a step up from an SR-22. In Florida, an FR-44 is an additional financial responsibility insurance verification form required for drivers who have been convicted of certain driving offenses. A driver in this case may start out with an SR-22 requirement and then get an FR notice that the state requires an FR-44 instead or in addition (it’s usually either SR-22 or FR-44, not both). The FR-44 carries certain specific coverage requirements for bodily injury and property damage, whereas the SR-22 only requires state minimum coverage. If an FR-44 is required, most insurance companies who can do SR-22s should be able to provide the FR-44.

      Hope this helps. Good luck!

  14. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    March 7, 2014 #

    Hi. I Dont Own A vehicle But I Have Two DUIs,Three Driving On Susp. And A Wet N wreckless. Obviously I'lL Need Sr22. Can Friend Add Me To Their existing insurance policy and will their rates go up?

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      March 7, 2014 #

      Hi Bee,
      Depending on what state they’re in, your friend may be able to add you to their policy, but they should expect their rates to go up quite a bit. They also may not be able to keep the policy going for very long afterward.

      Here’s how it would work with Esurance: if a customer asked to add you mid-term we would possibly be able to do it (depending how long ago the incidents occurred) but the premium would increase significantly. It’s also a near-certainty that the policy would expire at the next renewal, because the total number of incidents on the driving record would exceed the renewal underwriting guidelines for pretty much every state where we provide insurance.

      If you can’t find an insurer who can cover you, you may be able to look into state-provided insurance programs. Many states have a specific insurance program for drivers who can’t get coverage elsewhere. For example, in New Jersey there is the Basic Insurance plan (http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_consumers/insurance/basicpolicy.shtml). All insurance companies that write in NJ (including Esurance) are required to participate in this program. In Michigan, there’s a program called the Michigan Automobile Insurance Placement Facility for drivers who can’t get insurance anywhere else. And in many states, there are independent insurance companies who specialize in providing insurance for hard-to-insure drivers.

  15. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    Maria G
    March 9, 2014 #

    I have had a vehicle n was involved n a accident back in 06/07. My insurance elapse at that time a 3hours prior to accident. Needless to say by time I made into put insurance back on that same day. It didn't cover anything. Resulting for my issue of Driving with permit and no insurance leaving me to a sr22. I have had vehicles since then and insurance. My question I'd state of Indiana. I haven't had insurance for past 2yrs because the vehicle i own doesn't work. But I keep it register n plated because where I live at can't have vehicles on lot without anything or expired plates. I just recently got a vehicle that finally works. But have no permit or license since it expired. Coin in to DMV within the week. But I'm purchasing vehicle today. And would like to get all quotes n sr22 if needed done n handed over when I take test all again for permit n wait again for license. would I need a sr22 if I had already? Is there a non drivers insurance? Because the vehicle will b mine..n it will b register n my name..just won't b able to drive officially until I get permit again n license driver with me

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      March 11, 2014 #

      Hi Maria,
      You’ll need to check with the DMV in the state that originally required you to carry an SR-22. They would be the ones to tell you whether or not you need an SR-22 with your new insurance. If you previously carried an SR-22 for the entire required time, you probably won’t need to do so again just to reinstate an expired license. However, if there was anything unresolved with the previous issue the DMV may still be waiting for you complete the SR-22 requirements.

      As for “non-driver” insurance, there is a type of insurance called “storage insurance” which only covers damage to the vehicle. If the vehicle is financed or leased and the dealership offering the loan requires you to have coverage for physical damage, this type of insurance may be sufficient. If you need an SR-22, you’ll need to get a liability policy since storage insurance wouldn’t qualify. In addition, if the state is requiring you to carry liability insurance in order to register the vehicle, then you’d need to get an insurance policy that includes liability coverage even if you don’t plan to drive it right away.

      Hope this helps!

  16. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    March 10, 2014 #

    I was in a car accident march 1 of this year and i got a letter saying march 2 i will no longer need a sr22! When i got my insurance back due to the fact of buying a car;they asked me did i need one and i said no because i thought my 3 years were up.The worst part is that i got hit by a drunk driver and that was the reason why i needed one myself. Now whats going to happpen? Im so scared

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      March 11, 2014 #

      Hi Mellody,
      We'd love to help you out. Can you give us a few more specifics? In general, being hit by a drunk driver wouldn’t cause an SR-22 requirement. Were you were insured without an SR-22 for a while thinking you didn't need one, and just now got a letter from the state saying that the SR-22 requirement “will end soon”? Or did you have an SR-22 requirement that was ending on March 2, and you're afraid the accident on March 1 is going to cause a problem with that?

  17. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    March 12, 2014 #

    My daughter is required to carry an SR-22 for 18 more months. She didn't pay her premium on time and her policy was cancelled. She turned her license plate into the DMV thinking this would prevent her license from being suspended. I told her that most likely will not stop the suspension here in FL. Do you know if that's true? If her license doesn't get suspended I can most likely add her to our policy and get the SR-22 at a better price for her. Thoughts?

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      March 14, 2014 #

      Hi Colleen,
      Florida law says that the driver has to keep an SR-22 for the full 36 months. You can fill out the form as either an “Owner’s Certificate” or an “Operator’s Certificate.” The latter is meant to be used for a person who doesn’t own a car. (At Esurance, we don’t issue insurance policies without a listed car but there are insurance companies that do.) So just surrendering her plates to the DMV may not be enough for your daughter to escape the SR-22 requirement. She should check with her local DMV who can let her know the status of her license and whether adding her to your policy at this point would be helpful.

      Florida’s Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles also has a really useful website where drivers can input their drivers license number to see the current status (as of its most recent update) and whether an SR-22 is required. https://services.flhsmv.gov/DLCheck

      Hope this helps!

  18. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    March 22, 2014 #

    My DL suspension ends on August, do I still need an SR22 for 2 yrs??

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      March 25, 2014 #

      Hi Guillermo,
      In most cases, you’re required to carry the SR-22 for the entire time period required by your state (which sounds like 2 years, in your case). Having your license reinstated doesn’t necessarily mean that requirement has been waived. It's possible that the end of your DL suspension also marks the end of the SR-22 requirement, but it’s also possible that the suspension will be re-applied if you don’t keep the SR-22 for the full period. We suggest that you check with your DMV to confirm.

      Hope this helps!

  19. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    April 5, 2014 #

    My license has been revoked for four years in al for DUI. How do I find our the date for reinstatment? I know it ends sometime this month.

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      April 10, 2014 #

      Hi Phil,
      You should be able to find out by contacting your local DMV. In many states, you can get the current status of your license (as of its most recent update) by going to the DMV’s website and typing in your drivers license number. Just be sure you’re on the official state site (rather than a third-party site) before inputting your info.

  20. Avatar for Anne Le Tran
    April 14, 2014 #

    It shows on my Insurance papers that the type of driver I am is sr22 and I don't understand how I got that or what sr22 is for me? I just renewed my insurance and paid the full premium, so I don't understand what this means for me? I'm a excellent driver and the only accident I've been in lately is when someone backed into me. I did have a 12hr laps in my insurance once, but I walked down there and paid it the next day. I thought the due date was the day I could pay it on, but it was the day I wasn't covered. Never had that problem because I mostly paid early so maybe that's it? What am I suppose to do now, if anything?

    • Avatar for Anne Le Tran
      Ellen Hall
      April 15, 2014 #

      Hi Clash,
      It’s possible that the insurance lapse is the reason. In some states, even a brief lapse of liability insurance can trigger an SR-22. This is more likely if the driver received any kind of citation for driving while uninsured and/or had an accident while they were uninsured. If neither of those is the case, it’s hard to say why you might have an SR-22 requirement. We suggest contacting your local DMV and asking them about your status. You should also ask your insurance company if they can clarify the reason for your SR-22. It’s not something you should ignore, though.

      I hope this helps!

Leave a Reply

Leave your opinion here. Please be nice. Your email address will be kept private.