Entering the 2012 L.A. Auto Show, I think I had the same rush of questions that pretty much everyone in that position does:
Does this town really have that many car-lovers? Can I touch the cars? Can I drive them? Can I have them? Did I remember to make a mental note of where I parked? Will someone try to sell me a car that looks like a shark?
(If you’re curious, the answers are: yes, usually, occasionally but only outside, maybe but only in exchange for money, oh God no, and yes.)
Luckily, once you’re inside, you stop asking questions — and start drawing conclusions. Here’s my photo diary of the event and 10 (pretty much) infallible truths I learned. You can click the photos to make them bigger.
1. Bright colors are in; Hollywood stops are out
2. Bond drives an Aston Martin — and you won’t soon forget it!
3. The (much anticipated) “Coolest Font” award goes to: Porsche
4. This is now officially my favorite car ever
5. The future is now, and it’s hogging all the best lighting
6. The “Most-Curvaceous” award goes to: BMW
7. Someone at Porsche mixed up their shipments
8. The Smart Fortwo Electric Drive is supposedly the tiniest consumer car in America …
9. Mini is planning a top-secret move into home decor
10. The “Most-Whimsical Display” award goes to: Chevy
So just how good was the L.A. Auto Show?
If a picture’s worth a thousand words, then these pics say it all.