Election season is heating up, and this one’s a doozy. Across the country, the pessimists (or realists?) among us have started to make contingency plans. Where to go if an electoral catastrophe should occur? Take shelter in Canada? Soak up some rays in Mexico? Or skip the continent altogether and head to farther shores?
Wherever these future expats decide to go, we bet $10,000 would help them get there. Think of it as an election safety net. You could even call it — well — Election Insurance.
Either way the vote goes, you’ve got a shot at a little silver lining — in your pocket, that is.
Election Insurance Sweepstakes
Getting out of Dodge isn’t as easy as jumping in the car and driving off into the sunset. Choosing a new home-away-from-home will take passports, packing, and hands-on research — and Esurance wants to help send you on your way.
Our Election Insurance Sweeps gives you the chance to win a cool $10,000 — cash you can use to check out the scene before you make your decision for the next 4 years. (Picking up and heading to Paris sounds great, but picking out an apartment is tricky when you don’t know Montparnasse from Montmartre.)
Enter the Election Insurance Sweeps for a chance to win:
- $10K that you can use to travel to your choice of far corners of the world (i.e. a trip abroad to explore your options if the November elections don’t go your way)
How to enter:
- Just visit @Esurance on Twitter and tell us where you’d like to go using #MakeYourEscapeSweeps
The possibilities are endless. Tell us about your escape plan, and think big. After all, if you’re going to live abroad for the next four years, you’ll want to try before you buy.
If you’re short on ideas of how to spend your (theoretical) $10,000 payout, here are a few to jog your imagination.
Citizens of the American coasts will feel right at home in this charming province at the Pacific border of our neighbor to the north.
- Pros: Lush greenery and flower gardens, beautiful seaside towns, Vancouver’s vibrant city scene
- Cons: Remembering which coins are called loonies and which are toonies
The Australian Outback
If you find yourself missing the wide open spaces of the legendary American West, look no further than the vast Australian Outback, where you’ll have room to stretch your legs.
- Pros: Sweeping landscapes, a chance to meet outlandish and dangerous animals
- Cons: Since the seasons are flipped, you’ll be scorching in 130 degree heat while America is hanging holiday lights and drinking hot cocoa in cozy sweaters
Imagine New York City at twice the scale. That’s Shanghai: one of the world’s most exciting cities, blending millennia-old culture with the cutting-edge of the 21st century.
- Pros: Cosmopolitan on a grand scale, high speed train, several awesome theme parks
- Cons: International dateline placement makes it hard to schedule Skype calls with family members who didn’t flee the country
Best known for its icons of wealth and class — the Grand Prix, the grand casinos, Grace Kelly — the pocket-sized nation of Monaco offers a luxurious getaway to the discerning expat.
- Pros: Gorgeous coastline, unbeatable style, proximity to all of the glitter and glamour of the Riviera
- Cons: $10,000 won’t even keep you in caviar
Wherever you choose to jet off to next, be sure to mail in your absentee ballot on your way to the airport. Who knows: you may return to a bright, not-at-all-dystopian future. Think positive. After all, this is America!
Stuff our legal team makes us say
*Election Insurance is not available in any states. The $10,000 prize comes in the form of cold hard cash, so you can apply it to your trip costs — or even the finishing touches on your backyard bunker — however you want.
The nitty gritty in full:
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Contest starts at 12:00:00 p.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) on 10/9/16 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. PT on 10/13/16. Open to legal residents in all 50 U.S. states or DC who are at least 18 years of age and legal age of majority at the time of entry. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Total prize ARV: $10,000.00. To enter, Tweet using the hashtag #MakeYourEscapeSweeps. Void where prohibited. See Official Rules for complete details at: esurance.com/make-your-escape. Sponsor: Esurance Insurance Services, Inc., 650 Davis Street, San Francisco, CA 94111.