At Esurance, we love public transportation. For one thing, it reduces accident risk (a win for drivers and car insurance companies alike). But even more near and dear to our hearts is the positive impact it has on the environment. After all, fewer cars on the road means less CO2 in the air. And that means everyone can breathe a little easier.
The Green Mob takes over commuter train
But we don’t just talk the talk. We also walk the walk. So on Thursday, March 29, 2012, volunteers from our San Francisco headquarters walked right on over to the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) station to give unsuspecting passers-by a little surprise: pre-loaded commuter cards!
Our associates had a little (if you call 6′9″ little) help from the Golden State Warriors, as players Dorell Wright, Dominic McGuire, Richard Jefferson, head coach Mark Jackson, and Warriors staff joined in the second annual Green Mob commuter event — a way to raise awareness and get people excited about public transportation.
Before meeting our volunteers in downtown San Francisco, the Green Mob first flooded the Downtown Berkeley BART station. As they rode the train west to San Francisco’s Embarcadero station, the group (carefully) walked through each car passing out pre-loaded commuter cards and t-shirts to riders.
And it was clearly a success. After commuters got over the initial shock of being bombarded by some really tall men and some really eager (albeit shorter) Esurance associates in green, they were more than happy to get a free ride (and a signed t-shirt).
Esurance associates also had a blast (and not just because we got out of the office for an hour). Interacting with our fellow Bay Area commuters and hanging out with basketball players gave us a sense of both community and awesomeness. Esurance has sponsored the Golden State Warriors since 2008, and periodically sponsors Green Mob events, which always center on environmental and community causes — like public transportation.
Why Esurance loves public transportation
The 2009 U.S. census reported that only 5 percent of the population takes public transportation. That’s a pretty paltry number, but we hope events like the Green Mob will help get more people on board. If helping the environment and lowering your risk of accident aren’t enough motivation, here are a few more reasons why we recommend public transportation:
- You save money on gas
- You reduce wear and tear on your car
- You have lots of time to read (and with the invention of the e-reader, you no longer have to be self-conscious about your choice of reading material)
- You can talk, text, apply your makeup, and do all the other distracting things you can’t do while you drive
- You get to people watch (which is definitely a source of entertainment in the Bay Area)
5 ways to drive less and save more
Sure, public transportation isn’t an option for everyone, so here are a few other gas-saving, environment-protecting ideas:
- Carpool. Many cities offer rideshare opportunities. But if yours doesn’t, start asking around at work. You may just find that the new guy in IT lives in your neighborhood.
- Bike or walk. Obviously, the ability to do these things varies depending on where you live. But with the warmer months approaching, now’s a great time to get some fresh air and exercise.
- Map your errands. Before setting off on your weekend errands, make a list of where you need to go and map out the most efficient route.
- Order online. From clothes to groceries, almost everything is available online these days. And often sites offer free (or cheap) shipping. (And who doesn’t like getting a package in the mail?)
- Work from home. As our society becomes increasingly global, working from home is becoming a more mainstream option. Ask your boss if it’s a viable option for you.
What does your community do to promote green causes? Let us know on our Facebook page. Maybe we’ll use your ideas for our next Green Mob event!